Monday, November 21, 2011

Lord, I was born a Ramblin' Girl

Speaking of not being as well-traveled as some people think: I’ve never been out of the country. Recently, I’ve had multiple concerts in Canada that I’ve been tempted to go to, but…it seems like such a waste for my first trip out of the country to be Canada. There are so many places out of the country that I’d like the chance to see.

Even as a kid in primary school my idea of an epic adventure was to go to Ireland. I think that’s why I don’t want to go to Canada first. I’ve loved Ireland for the entirety of my life and I’m bound and determined to make Ireland the very first stamp on my passport. I don’t want to just visit Ireland, either. I want to explore it. I want to see every inch of those shockingly green hills, crawl out to the edge of every windy cliff and get wasted in absolutely all the best pubs. I want to hang out with chubby, ruddy-cheeked old men and ask them about “The Troubles.” (Read: The conflict between Protestant and Catholic Irishmen) I want to take a black cab tour of Belfast. I want to see the Jameson factory in Dublin. But I want to hit all the tiny east coast villages, too. I won’t be happy until I can stay a week in a nice little bed and breakfast (or, you know, a castle) and just…write.

Of places I’m okay just visiting-France is at the top of my list. I know everyone swoons over Paris, and I suppose I’d like to see it, but it’s not at the top of my list. Nope. The only place in France that makes me swoon is Versailles. Sweet Jesus, that place is gorgeous. In ‘Marie Antoinette’ Sophia Coppola did an excellent job of highlighting enormous parts of the Palace of Versailles and the gardens that surround it. Even the parts that weren’t actually filmed in the Palace seem to be fairly accurate representations. Even still, I want to see it in person. I want to walk on the same steps as Marie Antoinette, no matter how controversial she may be. Revolutionary events took place on those grounds. I want to stand there and try to channel in on the rumblings of thousands of angry people. Nothing gets me more excited than reliving civil unrest!

As completely unaware as this next sentence is going to seem: I want to go surfing in Africa. I know that there are probably more selfless things to do in Africa and I certainly wouldn’t mind doing that, too. However, I want to surf. Blame it on my growing up in South Florida or on my high school obsession with Endless Summer (also probably to blame on growing up in South Florida), but that’s what I want the most. I’d mainly like to visit Barra Point, off the coast of Mozambique. It’s known for having spectacular waves over a rocky, coral-ly ocean floor. Honestly, it’s above my skill-level. But you can bet your ass I plan on going out there. Worst case scenario…I die. But, dude, what a story for my family to tell! Stranger, “How’d your daughter die?” Mom, “She was crushed against a rock by a wave while surfing off the coast in Africa.” It’s right up there with all the times, when I was younger, that the fighting reared up in Ireland and I ached to go see the action for myself. It’s not about wanting to die-it’s wanting to live. Death is a small price to pay, as we all have to pay it at some point.

This is getting heavier than I meant. I think I’ll continue this later. I don’t want to overwhelm you…or myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment